What is a School Counselor?
A school counselor is an educator who:
· Advocates for the student at school.
· Provides individual and small group counseling
· Works with teachers and parents to provide helpful suggestions and support for children’s needs.
· Provides classroom guidance for every class.
· Helps in identifying academic and social/emotional needs of children.
· Helps children understand themselves and others.
· Provides information about community resources that would benefit children.
· Makes referrals to outsides agencies.
· Provides parents with resources and information
How can I refer my child to the Counselor?
References can be made by phone, email, or by written note.
Counseling sessions are confidential, with these exceptions: (1) If a student expresses intent to harm self or others; (2) If there is suspicion of abuse or neglect; or (3) If a court subpoena is issued.
If it is determined that more extensive services are necessary, the responsibility will lie with the parent/guardian to seek outside services. The school will not be liable for these services. Referrals will be discussed with parents/guardians as needed.
November is all about perseverance. The students are learning to keep working towards goals and to never give up. December will be about caring for others. We will focus on kindness and compassion. 8th grade students are taking interest inventories to prepare for the second semester when we focus primarily on careers and college exploration.